Friday, April 25, 2014

DAP - Movie #2: Antz

This is part of my ongoing series of DAP posts.

Dreamworks Animation Movie #2
Antz
1998
Rating: PG
Budget: 105 million
Box Office: 171 million plus

IMDb Logline: "A rather neurotic ant tries to break from his totalitarian society while trying to win the affection of the princess he loves."

Review: This movie was never meant for children. The dialogue would go completely over their little heads, not to mention animated ants, like their real-life counterparts, are creepy looking. This is an animated movie for adults. Mental Note - Dreamworks is down with this, even lines like:
"I was going to include you in my erotic fantasies."
"What are you bitching about?"
"Call me crazy, but I have a thing about drinking from the anus of another creature."

I didn't love it probably because I was at my animated movie saturation point for the evening. Also, Woody Allen's voice creeps me out even when I can't see his dweeby face. It wasn't a bad story though and the dialogue was clever. Overall, an admirable and bold leap for Dreamworks Animation's first feature film, paving the way for animated films catering to adult appreciation.

Themes:
As stated by Woody-voiced Ant hero at the movie's conclusion: "Your average boy meets girl, boy likes girl, boy changes underlying social order story."
As stated on movie poster: "Every ant has his day." Self-actualization.

No comments:

Post a Comment