Sunday, April 6, 2014

I don't hate effing everything! (with a side dish of hating on TrueDetective)


My blog may come across overly critical - I can't imagine why?! I'm looking forward to tonight's Season 4 premiere of Game of Thrones, which is an effing excellent show! Maybe I'll blog about this while Walking Dead is on hiatus. 

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of a divine reward, then, Brother, that person is a piece of shit." That's a gem from True Detective, which I'm watching now. Somewhat of a slower pace than my ADD tends to support but so far, so good.
I'll keep ya'll posted. 

p.s. Just finished Episode 5 of True Detective and I don't want to spoil it, but it's pretty predictable where this thing is going. At least, it finally picked up the story after meandering through multiple episodes.

p.s.s. Actually, I was wrong. I just saw the finale to True Detective and it totally didn't go where I expected; it just went nowhere. Fine, the characters went through transformations but the actual murder mystery that tricked me into watching what were simply character studies was almost worthless. What's wrong with people these days? So many online viewers were hyping up this show like they owed fiduciary duties to HBO. Sure, True Detective wasn't terrible but it certainly didn't live up to all that hype. I guess my expectations were inflated. 
True Detective Report Card (with an admission that report cards generally suck):
Casting - 

Acting - 

Writing: dialogue and one liners - "What's scented meat?"


Plot movement/Pace - 


Overall story & Resolution - 


The payoff doesn't support plodding along through a story that could have been told in half as many episodes as it took, unless you're obsessed with the bromance between Matty and Woody. They did deliver terrific performances but the story fell flat despite the meaningful development of the characters they were portraying. If you're not a story person, including one who cares about good endings like myself, then you won't feel as let down.

No comments:

Post a Comment