Monday, April 28, 2014

Stupid Voice Show

Why does The Voice ruin the actual live performances by immediately beforehand previewing key moments of the exact same performances from the rehearsals? The lead-in footage rendered performances (like show closer Sisaundra Lewis's "Oh Sherrie") into encores.

Kristen Merlin boldly sang Passenger's "Let Her Go" without changing the lyrics. 
 
This was followed by a back-handed compliment by Blake Shelton- some garbage about how he thought while she always looked comfortable on stage, she was finally starting to sound comfortable. I'd argue it's challenging to sound comfortable when you can't be heard at all.

I actually like Blake as a judge (much like I think the Voice can be an entertaining singing show even as I criticize it vehemently). However, Blake's commentary on Kristen has been questionable to me on more than one occasion - which is especially a shame considering country singer Kristen came into the competition hoping for Blake as a coach. 
When he didn't turn his chair for her blind audition, Blake commented "You're a great singer for sure... and I'll tell you why I didn't hit my button... You have a very fast vibrato... and when Shakira hit her button, I thought if there's anyone who can help with tips on control... oh my gosh, of course that's who she needs to be with. Man, if I was you, I think I'd be picking Shakira!" BULLSHIT.

Back to tonight's show, I was moved by Bria Kelly, more by her reaction to the judges' feedback than by her uneven performance of Avril Lavigne's "I'm with You." 
 
She put up a brave front as she wiped away escaping tears. It takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there, especially on a nationally televised platform, and it's even more impressive considering she's only 16. 

I didn't see the entire show but did also catch Audra McLaughlin's beautiful rendition of Reba McEntire's "You Lie." It was the perfect song to showcase her talent. She will definitely make it well past this next round of eliminations. 


Christina Grimmie also made a powerful impression with her signature take on Drake's "Hold On."

No comments:

Post a Comment