Saturday, December 6, 2014

Hating on/Review of the Doritos Crash the Super Bowl Semifinalists

*Pic courtesy of some Random Blog - no, literally.

3 of the 11 commercials I featured in my review of Doritos Crash the Super Bowl contest entries are among the 29 semifinalists:

Dog Dreams
Lemonade Stand
and the commercial I noted in my "Updates" after originally posting: Doritos Angler

Despite my weak prediction track record, below are my picks for the 10 finalists. You can see how subjective this whole process is by reading another review of the semifinalists here on the Video Contest News website.

In no particular order after the first half:
Dog Dreams - however, the VCN reviewer points out that the driver's lack of a seat-belt could be an issue because federal regulations prohibit advertisers from depicting unsafe driving. Can they just "video-shop" that in?
Do the federal ad regulations relating to driving apply to dreams about driving?

Doritos Angler - I think this commercial is ridiculously absurd and funny! 

Lemonade Stand

When Pigs Fly - which I reviewed in the comments to my earlier Doritos post.

Tea Time

Mis-Spelling Bee

Wish Upon a Dorito

Actually, I am finding it painful to come up with 10.


Here are my thoughts on the others:

Middle Seat is a well-produced commercial - also requesting a review in the comments of my earlier post. However, I just can't get past the crude dig against sufferers of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). I don't find it funny at all and I don't think it's acceptable for a nationally airing commercial to be so insensitive with respect to a medical condition. 
In fact, it seems this entry breaches the Doritos contest official rules:
"it must not contain... messages (including but not limited to words, images or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic, or other group..."

Gone Ape - How could these guys have missed the obvious punchline of the ape shoving the triangle into the mouth of the doctor who slapped her hand? 

Baby's First Word - This is a well-made commercial but it's far too predictable. Who didn't know where this one was going the moment it started?


These are the semifinalists that completely left me head-scratching:


What Could Go Wrong? - In my opinion, this is the worst of all of the 29 semifinalists! Besides the low production quality, I am really perturbed by Doritos finding anything funny about a woman being hurled off a roof-top. Especially in light of the recent incidents of violence against women by NFL players, why would Doritos or the Superbowl want to be associated with a commercial making light of even the accidental harm to/death of a woman. It's just not funny. 
In addition, does this not violate this official Doritos rule? "must not portray neck and/or head injuries or symptoms thereof, including, without limitation, concussion or memory loss." 
I guess events leading to these prohibited injuries and/or fatalities are okay and even comical to the Doritos judges?

Trouble in the Back Seat - low production quality and completely unoriginal idea. How many Doritos commercials are out there involving a police officer making a traffic stop?

I Did That - same comments as those for "Trouble in the Back Seat" but just swap out police officer making a traffic stop with man dressed up as a Doritos chip guilty of nacho hand-stains on a woman's butt.

Pink Slip - good Doritos eating actor but how would a commercial with such low production quality ever air on prime-time television, let alone during the Super Bowl? Come on.

Other semifinalists I straight up hated: Blind Date, Doritos Manchild and Cheesy Teasy. 

The remaining semifinalists I didn't mention didn't really inspire a strong reaction either way. My brother got a kick out of "Tiny Mouth," which was ranked #2 by the VCN reviewer but I don't really get it? Which means it will probably win.

Despite posting like a hater, good luck to the semifinalists!

7 comments:

  1. I so agree with you! I don't understand so many of their choices, which I finally got to see in full. And YES -- I am ESPECIALLY am disturbed by that one with the woman thrown off the roof! Accident though it's shown to be, it's not funny at all that the guy makes no moves to help or get help. I know it's just a short ad but I can't be amused by how he's more concerned about his Doritos than her. Do they really want to send the message that women are disposable, and it's okay for them to be harmed -- killed actually -- without any real concern about it? Especially in light of recent news, like you pointed out so well? Male, and female, Super Bowl fans are supposed to laugh at that? Would an ad like that play out the same way if he'd dropped a kid off the roof? Or another guy? I don't think so. Not cool. I can't believe that got chosen for this stage. Makes me not want to ever buy Doritos if they have so much regard for female viewers and/or customers...anyway, on a less ranty note (sorry!), I also see the appeal to the Tiny Mouths one you don't like but your brother does. It's so bizarre and absurd that it made me laugh, because I didn't see that coming as the reason for why they're smashing the chips! It's as nonsensical yet funny to me as the new Geico ad with Salt-N-Pepa -- have you seen it? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I have to check out the Geico Ad - I've heard it on in the background but haven't actually stopped to watch yet! I'll keep you posted! Also, I love the rants - you are always welcome to rant (especially in agreement) on my blog!

      Delete
    2. You know, the more I watch Tiny Mouth - the more it actually grows on me. The actors are actually really good. Maybe, it's an acquired taste, like sushi?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review and thanks for the support of my ad @MisSpellingBee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian,
      Thanks for visiting! I got a kick out of your commercial and thought your child actors were excellent. It was a very well-made commercial. Best of luck and hope to see you in the finals!

      Delete
  3. I just saw the middle seat Doritos comerical and I am honestly really hurt, I suffer from Crohnic IBS (Crohns disease), and the fact that they place this disease in the same nasty category as clipping your toenails on a crowded plane makes me so mad and hurt. I really just needed to put this out there somewhere.. It's completely unacceptable. I already knew my disease was considered social taboo to talk about since it's not glamourous, but this sort of comerical just almost makes me wish I had cancer or something instead, something people understand and don't get disgusted by if you talk about it.. I officially really hate Doritos as a company, I have zero respect left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anon, I am glad you posted here. I still find it shocking that Doritos would air that commercial as the winner without at least editing out the IBS reference. It's completely insensititve and irresponsible of Doritos, which is a company I respect and whose products I regularly consume - I would expect more from this brand. I think you should write in to the company and also contact a national organization for individuals with IBS (like this group here http://www.ibsgroup.org/ibsassociation.org/). I'm surprised there hasn't been more backlash/media coverage about this issue.
      On a personal note, your condition is not nasty or disgusting. I'm sorry you suffer from this painful condition. Thanks again for sharing your feelings.

      Delete