Sunday, June 29, 2014

Masterful Tim McGraw

I wasn't really familiar with Tim McGraw (and I don't think I knew a single song of his) but I happened to catch Oprah's Master Class on the OWN Network featuring him. What a contrast to the episodes I've encountered previously

Tim McGraw came off likable, charismatic, sincere and interesting... helping me to realize the value of the show when it's done right. Listening to his story was inspiring and conveyed the benefits of perseverance, hope and humility. It doesn't hurt that he's also talented and good looking. Well done Tim McGraw, country superstar!

2 comments:

  1. Funny, I too can't say I've ever been familiar with his music. Based on your description of his episode, I wish I'd caught it on TV, although I see what you mean even from the clip. He is definitely no Justin Timberlake -- and that's a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! He has a really interesting backstory also - I'm quoting wikipedia to summarize: "McGraw grew up believing his stepfather, Horace Smith, was his father.... until the time he met his biological father, [Tim's] last name was Smith. At age 11, McGraw discovered his birth certificate... After his discovery, his mother revealed that his biological father was Tug McGraw [a professional baseball player for the NY Mets], and took Tim to meet him for the first time. For seven years, Tug denied being Tim's father. Tim was 18 years old when Tug first realized how much Tim looked like him at that age, and he acknowledged paternity. They remained close until Tug's death in 2004."
    Tim described not having had a good father-figure growing up and feeling very happy after discovering the truth about his biological dad. He said as a kid at Tug's baseball game, he yelled to get his attention but was unsuccessful. I thought that was cute and sad... like, "heeeey look over here, I'm your son!!! MEEEEE" to a "celebrity" who doesn't even notice.

    ReplyDelete