Sunday, May 11, 2014

Exercise Day 8 & Grasshopper Class

And Gym Day 5. I ate a lot today. Happy Mother's Day!

I don't follow Oprah's Master Class on the OWN network but occasionally I catch shitty bits and pieces. There's something awfully pretentious about the enterprise, from the title, to the unnecessary and unflattering extreme close-ups - especially for Jay-Z:

It strikes me as not that removed from Brad Pitt's Chanel No. 5 commercials.


Now compare to this:

 
Could this be any more fake? Has Justin been practicing delivering bad acting monologues? Does affecting a subdued tone convey mastery? How phony is this "confession" preceded by pause for a beat, sideways glance, cue: "I've never told anybody that Michael story." 

Why not? Why is this such a secret? Did Michael touch you in a private place when he made his recording request? You didn't tell your manager? a friend? your mom?? not one person that Michael Jackson was interested in recording a duet with you? You are such a liar I can't stand you!!!!

There's also this piece of dookie he overdramatically offers in another clip: "I was going to make a career doing exactly what everyone told me I should not be doing."
JT's spiced vanilla is far from renegade. The Star Search to Mickey Mouse Club (including Brit, Christina, JLoveHewitt, Ryan Gosling) to Boy Band to Solo Career under the guidance of record company giants and big money management is not exactly trailblazing albeit wildly successful in JFake's case. Sure, he's achieved an accomplished career, celebrity and wealth, but does this all, at the ripe old age of 33, a Master make?

Instead of Master Class, just call it Oprah's Self-Serving Monotonous Celebrity Profiles.

2 comments:

  1. Read your current post about Tim McGraw and I'm glad it included a link to this post, which I hadn't gotten to read -- this cracked me up! My favorite part: "Oprah's Self-Serving Monotonous Celebrity Profiles." I laughed at that! Oh, and I too find Justin T. fake. Also, the nerd in me got annoyed each time he said "between himself and I." Wouldn't it be "between him and me?" I mean, if you want to be grammatically correct and all?! I hate to sound like a grammar snob, but to me it sounded like he was trying too hard to sound so intelligent -- but FAILED. I'm being extra harsh about this only because it involves him, and I get a kick out of seeing him mess this up since he seems so pretentious. But I am being petty now. Also, I have turned my comment about your great post into a rant on grammar. Sorry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your rant! Thank you! The grammar point was ... on POINT!
    Funny enough, JT's master blab re-aired after Tim McGraw's episode on the OWN network last Sunday, again sharply contrasting their presentations. At one point, JT discussed his "gift." Is that confidently owning one's talents or egostistical? I changed the channel instead of pondering this too deepy.

    ReplyDelete